Part Time Church Secretary Job Description
First UMC Fort Scott, KS
Approved by Administrative Council 1/26/22
The mission of First UMC Fort Scott is “to share the good news of the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ and to exemplify the love of God by knowing Christ, growing in Christ serving Christ and sharing Christ”
The Church Secretary will help the congregation accomplish its mission by being a dependable and consistent hub of communications and records management. This position will report to the Pastor and the Staff Parish Relations Committee.
Exact schedule will be determined in consultation with the person hired but we envision a very consistent pattern - say 9am to Noon or 10am to 1pm, Monday through Thursday, for a total of 12 hours a week.
Plan to start at $12.00 per hour and increase it to $12.50 after a three month probationary period. Negotiable with the right candidate.
• Consistent, cheerful, dependable and predictable presence for church member and community to contact, a “hub” of communication.
• Strong organizational skills, ability to learn and maintain existing organizational systems as well as develop improvements as needed.
• Pleasant, courteous and good communication skills including in-person, on phone and online (email, etc.)
•Familiar with, or able to quickly learn, MS Office applications, Church Windows database software and Church security system.
• Displays initiative and uses good judgment.
• Self-motivated, able to multi-task without becoming flustered, problem solve and maintain confidentiality, yet Also able to work as a team and accept instruction from Pastor and church leaders.
• Work is neat, accurate and completed in a timely manner.
• Must qualify for Safe Gatherings certification including background check.
•Assist Pastor and others, greet visitors, answer phone and doors.
•Sort and distribute mail.
•Efficiently maintain and manage church records both in physical files and on computer, ensuring information is current, accurate and archived appropriately.
•maintain scheduling of events / meetings on master calendar and coordinate building usage - communicating especially with Custodian, Trustees, and Pastor as well as groups and individuals using the facilities.
• Responsible for keys checked out for building entry and receipt of their return (in consultation with Pastor and Trustees.) Program doors for regular and special occasions.
• Work with committee recording secretaries to gather, distribute and maintain meeting minutes.
• Assist Pastor with bulletin, newsletter, email and online communication as needed.
• Serve as membership secretary, updating and printing reports as needed from Church Windows database. Maintain baptismal, confirmation, marriage and funeral records.
• Make contact as needed for Funeral Dinners, maintain monthly coordinator and volunteer lists.
• Maintain memorial donations records and send letters as needed.
• Responsible for ordering and mailing of monthly birthday and anniversary cards (Pastor signs).
• Responsible for Altar flower calendar - contacting sponsor / florist / bulletin information and distributing flowers as necessary.
•Set up and code bills and expenses for payment by Church Treasurer using existing accounting code system (training will be provided).
• Manage budget for office supplies and postage as well as petty cash.
• Place and receive orders for church, office, small groups as needed.
APPLICATION PROCESS. Please provide the following:
• Personal Resume with contact information.
• Cover Letter
•A minimum of three references with phone and email contact information, including at least one previous employer and at least one church reference.
Mail the above items to: Rev. Christopher Eshelman
First UMC Fort Scott
301 S. National
Fort Scott, KS 66701
- Or - email to firstname.lastname@example.org